Guilds/zFree/Zfree Tale 8 Planning
In Tale 7 the zfree elders worked hard early on to set up zfree. We expanded quickly and became a large guild of over 150 members! The collaborative way that guild members work together is amazing, and has helped us be pretty successful. Our guild has most importantly become a social hub for members to share being part of this unique community.
As we get close to the end of this tale we need to think about getting going again for Tale 8. Your thoughts about what worked, and could be done better would be very welcome!
There are some starter questions below, to get things going, based around some key topics. Feel free to add whatever else you think is needed.
If you are not confident updating the wiki, please personal chat me <cate> or any of the zfree elders in game and we can post your comments for you.
In the beginning
1. In the beginning: the small group of founder elders used the initial 24 hours to scout for a location and set about establishing the guild headquarters and initial compounds.
- Any thoughts about location next tale? Should we aim for somewhere closer or further out from the centre?
Any closer, and you may have problems with the size the guild buildings get. Any further away, and it starts to get troublesome to get between guild and the centre. I think the guild location was just right in tale 7. Silden 07:53, 24 July 2017 (EST)
- Camp layout - How can we better manage pollution and lag?
Camel Pens and Greenhouses - need to leave a bigger space, as we ran out and had to rebuild in tale 7. Of note, we need to remember to keep space for drying straw, as that was an after-thought this tale. Brick production, need to have it closer to mud and sand, and further away from the trees in case pollution mechanism in tale 8 is similar to tale 7. Glass production, need to be closer to sand (we had to get camp decoration to put some in during tale 7). Space out the chemistry, rock, and cafe compounds a little more, as when small warehouses went up, it started to get cramped very quickly. Chemistry and Forges building needs to be bigger next time, as it ended up feeling claustrophobic in the chemistry building, and the same-model Student and Master buildings being next to each other caused confusion and costly mistakes. Kitchens, tale 7 had two groups (MPs and everything else), tale 8 I suggest three groups (one for sink/dex/end, one for other dishes, one for MPs) When placing 'ponds', need to weigh up the benefits of having more watermines with the negative that they impede getting between buildings easily. Actually the watermines was placed long after the ponds went up. The ponds was not intended for more watermines. /McArine Need to 'reserve' space near the flax houses to allow flax growing. Space out the warehouses rather than having them all stacked next to each other as it gets harder to quickly know exactly which warehouse you need. Location of doors on compounds needs to be better considered, as we had problems this tale with doors preventing proper expansion of buildings. Silden 07:53, 24 July 2017 (EST)
Glass works needs to further away from main camp, as lag can affect the Glory Hole. cate 08:33, 25 July 2017 (AEST)
- Do we grow slowly by invitation, or quickly and ask member to help provide the resources to make that possible?
Asking members to help has the effect of both helping the guild grow quickly and help players feel like they are a big part of the guild Silden 07:53, 24 July 2017 (EST)
- How should we manage the membership and access equitably?
Monthly reviews of membership and promotion based on contribution and willingness to help out where needed. I'd prefer a two level access system initially - Initiate: General Access and Patriarch: Reserved for Projects, or something like that. Continue the Post Office system for those living in/ around camp to store more personal things. cate 08:33, 25 July 2017 (AEST)
- We are anticipating there will be lots of lovely players wanting to join us again next tale.
- How big should we aim to be?
- How do we go about getting stuff together fast enough to meet expectations?
- Do we have a 'joining contribution' again to cover guild expansion costs?
Having people contribute boards and bricks helps in the early part of the game When full, keep one space free so that applications can continue to be taken Keep applications open, players should not see a "Closed" sign. Silden 07:53, 24 July 2017 (EST)
It makes sense to increase guild size in blocks, as the cost is greater if done in smaller increments. I suggest we look at the build costs at 30, 50, 80, 100, 120 and make a decision on what would be most efficient use of resources. cate 09:15, 25 July 2017 (AEST)
- Do we establish teams to focus in on the key priorities like animals, flax, bricks, metals?
From personal experience, in the past I wanted to help, but I couldn't just say "Yes, I'll help do X building" because it would involve something I'm no good at (for example, a building that needs a cut gem). As a result, I didn't get involved with it at all. I had to wait until someone discussed making something I was good at, and I thought "I can chip in there", and break the ice, help make some of the component parts, and find that I'm now well and truly involved. I'm sure I'm not alone feeling like that!
Someone might not mind making end products like nails and bars, but don't like getting ores or not be able to make charcoal. Another player may love the challenge of getting ore or found how to make lots of charcoal quickly and easily, but hate turning it into metals. So to say "you're on the animals team, start building the farm" may not necessarily be the best answer. Silden 07:53, 24 July 2017 (EST)
- Did the guild purpose and guidelines affect your attitude towards being in the guild?
- How about the guild wiki? Was it useful?
May need to be a little more organised, be more willing to put details on sub-pages instead of trying to cram it all into the main page. Silden 07:53, 24 July 2017 (EST)
- What should the role of the zfree elders be next tale?
In zfree this tale we started setting up specialist guilds to help coordinate the effort around specific tasks and tests, like 'zemples', zThrone, zBread, for example. We made decisions on projects to contribute towards releasing technologies for all Egyptians, like the Pyramids, and installing new and improved machines around camp for zfree members.
- How can we better involve guild members in the decisions about guild projects and enhancements?
- What keeps you logging in when the mid-tale doldrums start?
- Player-managed events can help motivate people stay tuned in, but need coordination.
- Which player events would you like to see more of?
- Would you like to see zfree take more of a proactive role in organizing player-managed events for Egypt?
- Mid tale is a good time to learn new skills. Tutorials in what topics would be of interest to you?
We are anticipating playing a part in getting together materials for the monuments, as soon as they are released, and working collaboratively to undertake the work. Getting the monuments together and supporting the leaders to finalise them before tale end is pretty rewarding, particularly if we get involved in drafting and reviewing ideas for new tests for next Tale. This Tale has been unique because we have had a chance to review just about every test there has been. It is time to start thinking about the ones you like, and the sort of things you would like to be involved in next tale - even propose ideas for new tests.
- Monuments are fun! Which monuments should we support as a priority?
Architecture, Thought, Leadership and Art!! cate 09:17, 25 July 2017 (AEST)
Body, Harmony, Worship!! Silden 04:36, 10 August 2017 (EST)
- Developing ideas for new tests to add to the monuments is challenging, but also rewarding. Do you have any ideas for new tests in any of the seven disciplines? Post links to user pages, for the detail!
- End of tale party - ideas, please!