Fishing Infographic here: Infographic
Follow link for the infographic for the times, seasons and lures for uncommon fish catches.
Log Fishing tests here: Trials
This is to log raw data for uncommon fish catches.
How to fish
Equipment and skills
To catch fish, you need three things:
Off shore fishing
After the introduction of sailboats, it is now possible to fish off shore, in any body of water, at any debth (the Nile, Red Sea, the Meditteranian Sea etc.). You may fish while moving, which enables "thrawling" as you sail to your destination. It is also possible to change lures and filet(via filleting skill) while at sea.
Before you can catch any fish, you must first select a lure from those that you are carrying. To do this, bring up your own menu, select "Skills...", "Use Lure...", the type of insect, and then the level of lure.
This type of lure will be used for all subsequent fishing attempts. If you no longer carry any lures of that type, a popup will tell you that you need to use a lure.
You may also want to increase your speed statistic while fishing, as some fish can only be reliably caught with up to 28 speed. Max speed needed is not yet known.
Making the casts
Whether you catch a fish or not, there is a chance of losing your lure. Fresh lures (made with Fly Tying 1) have a very high chance of loss, while Hardened lures (requiring Fly Tying 4) may last for hundreds of casts.
These are the possible results from each cast:
- You didn't catch anything. Try different lures and locations. This means that your cast was unsuccessful, and you should try again.
- No fish bit. Try different lures and locations. There are no fish of sufficient size to be caught by you, due to fishing out the types that are available at this time. This applies per-avatar, not by location.
- You almost caught an unusual fish, but you were not quick enough. Your speed was not high enough to catch this type of fish. If it is almost enough, you may catch them on future casts.
- You almost caught an odd fish, but you were too late recognizing the bite. Your Fly Fishing skill was not high enough. You can only catch that type of fish by increasing your skill, through enormous amounts of fishing.
- The water is dead, and smells like rotten eggs. You are trying to fish in Sulphurous Water.
- You almost caught a strange fish, but this rod was just too clumsy. You may need a better fishing rod. You may succeed on future attempts. Otherwise, keep an eye out for Events offering better Rods as prizes
- Caught a <size> deben <fish type>. You caught a fish! Note that fish have a bulk of 20 debens each, so it is easy to become overloaded.
- Caught a <size> deben <fish type>. The fish seems a bit listless. Displays when using a higher level rod. No idea why yet. (I got "listless" with a basic rod in downtown RP. Pollution maybe? -Matk) (Just got this message for the first time - was using Beachcomber's rod. Switched to basic rod and got same message. Was at my compound where I normally fish. Went to a fishing spot a bit further from camp and no longer got the message, so may well be pollution. ~ Lilyoptra 7-26-2016)
- Your Fly Fishing skill went up! Your skill went up. Takes a hecka lotta casts. This varies greatly by avatar and increases significantly for higher levels of flyfishing. Reports of between 700ish to 1500ish for the first increase. (T7: I got my first skill up after 693 fish caught. - Matk)
- You didn't catch anything because your hook got stuck in some <item> You caught a non-fish, a precursor to the Test of Isis Bounty
- You caught some Ship Debris (for Test of Isis Bounty)
How to fish for loot
Not confirmed, but highly likely:
- Negative speed stat will increase the chance of catching loot (and decrease the chance of catching fish).
Things found during fishing include:
Items with no known purpose
- Broken Chariot Wheels
- Broken Mirror
- Decayed Cadavers
- Frayed Rope
- Rotten Leather
- Rotten Wood
- Tattered Sail
- Torn Bandages
Low Quality Items
A low-quality item, of between 1000 and 2500
- Barometric Sphere
- Distillation Coil
- Florence Flask
- Hookah Bowl
- Jagged Blade
- Resin Wedge
- Sharp Edged Blade
- Test Tube
- Thistle Tube
- Twice Folded Blade
- Wine Glass