The Wiki for Tale 6 is in read-only mode and is available for archival and reference purposes only. Please visit the current Tale 11 Wiki in the meantime.
If you have any issues with this Wiki, please post in #wiki-editing on Discord or contact Brad in-game.
Methodology, Theories, and Notes
This is taken from: http://www.atitd.org/wiki/tale5/index.php?title=User:InambaGuum/HerbRarities
- I have created this list primarily from a survey of my current herb inventory (approx 91k herbs), in conjunction with my knowledge of herb rarities from previous tellings and a bit of guesswork. Given the vast differences in rarities between herbs at the top of the list and herbs at the bottom of the list, my sample size is not sufficient to derive rarities from by itself.
- My certainty of herbs' relative rarities is high for the more common herbs (I had over 2.5k deben each of the Class 1 herbs, as of this writing), and much lower for the rarer herbs. I have the 7777 herbs harvested achievement (I'm probably closer to 20k herbs harvested), and I'm one herb away from the 200 techniques memorized achievement (started late on that one). In other words, I have done a lot of foraging. But even with all that foraging, there are herbs on this list I haven't found, and my hypotheses regarding Classes 10-12 are based largely on guesswork, combined with the handy in-game foraging achievements (which have been dev-confirmed to be the rarest herbs in the game). Therefore, with the exception of classes 1-3, which should be considered pretty much gospel, all herbs may be +/- 1 category away from their true class. I am reasonably confident than none are off by more than one class, however.
- For Classes 1-5, there is a very neat progression of rarity, at a quite consistent ratio. Class 1 herbs are roughly twice as common as Class 2 herbs, which are roughly twice as common as Class 3 herbs, and so on. Therefore, you can generally expect to find eight times as much Common Basil as you will find Banto, and eight times as much Banto as you will find Bay Tree.
- My suspicion is that this progression continues throughout all Classes, but I just don't have a large enough sample size to be sure.
- Herbs definitely have seasons. This means that during an herb's season, its rarity may be decreased by as much as 2 or so classes. I suspect that herbs also have off-seasons, during which their rarity is increased by 2 or so classes.
- Herbs may be regional. This data is collected primarily from foraging in Maia. In T3, when I had even more herbs, collected primarily in Sinai, the distribution was somewhat different. Unfortunately, I don't know if that difference is due to changes made since T3 or if the difference is due to being in a different location.
- I am indebted to this list for giving me the idea for this list. You may also find that list to be helpful in establishing rarities, but note that it is T3 data (and there are several rarities there I disagree with).
If you disagree with any items on this list, please either make a note at the bottom of the page or in the Discussion page rather than editing the list itself. Thanks.
For chuckles, herbs I have not yet found (at all) this telling have been marked with an asterisk (*).
Class 1: Dirt Common
Common Basil, Common Rosemary, Discorea, Thyme, Verdant Squill, Wild Lettuce
Class 2: Very Common (approx 1/2 as common as Class 1s)
Bluebottle Clover, Buckler-Leaf, Chives, Common Sage, Dark Ochoa, Fool's Agar, Glechoma, Indigo Damia, Mountain Mint, Lemondrop, Myristica, Pale Dhamasa, Tiny Clover
Class 3: Common (approx 1/4 as common as Class 1s)
Black Pepper Plant, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Crampbark, Crimson Lettuce, Daggerleaf, Dwarf Hogweed, Fleabane, Hazlewort, Houseleek, Hyssop, Lythrum, Mariae, Meadowsweet, Mindanao, Morpha, Motherwort, Satsatchi, Shrub Sage, Silvertongue Damia, Stickler Hedge, Sorrel, Strawberry Tea, Sweetgrass, Tsangto, Xanosi
Class 4: Still Pretty Common (approx 1/8 as common as Class 1s)
Anansi, Banto, Blue Terafern, Chatinabrae, Cinquefoil, Covage, Dalchini, Drapeau D'Or, Ginger Root, Ginseng Root, Golden Thyme, Harebell, Katako Root, Opal Harebell, Orange Niali, Pale Ochoa, Pale Russet, Panoe, Pippali, Prisniparni, Pulmonaria Opal, Purple Tintiri, Rhubarb, Sagar Ghota, Shrubby Basil, Soapwort, Spinach, Steel Bladegrass, Sweetflower, True Tarragon, Wild Onion, Yigory
Class 5: Uncommon (approx 1/16 as common as Class 1s)
Aloe, Ashoka, Bee Balm, Beetle Leaf, Blue Damia, Brown Muskerro, Burnt Tarragon, Calabash, Caraway, Chaffa, Clingroot, Corsacia, Creeping Thyme, Crimson Pipeweed, Crumpled Leaf Basil, Dank Mullien, Dark Radish, Digweed, Dusty Blue Sage, Dwarf Wild Lettuce, Earth Apple, Finlow, Fire Allspice, Fumitory, Garcinia, Garlic Chives, Gynura, Harrow, Headache Tree, Hogweed, Honey Mint, Ipomoea, Jagged Dewcup, Khokali, Lavender Navarre, Mahonia, Medicago, Myrrh, Mirabellis Fern, Orange Sweetgrass, Pitcher Plant, Primula, Sandy Dustweed, Shyama, Skirret, Sugar Cane, Sweetsop, Tagetese, Tamarask, Tangerine Dream, Weeping Patala, Whitebelly, Wild Yam, Yava, Yellow Tristeria, Zanthoxylum
Class 6: Very Uncommon (approx 1/32 as common as Class 1s)
Altar's Blessing, Beggar's Button, Bhillawa, Blooded Harebell, Cicada Bean, Elegia, Flander's Blossom, Gokhru, Ilex, Joy of the Mountain, Larkspur, Liquorice, Lungclot, Miniature Bamboo, Miniature Lamae, Red Pepper, Rubydora, Squill, Tristeria, Tsatso, Umber Basil, Upright Ochoa
Class 7: Rare (approx 1/64 as common as Class 1s)
Apiphenalm, Asafoetida, Bay Tree, Bilimbi, Blood Root, Bloodwort, Brassy Caltrops, Bull's Blood, Butterroot, Crimson Clover, Crimson Nightshade, Crimson Windleaf, Curly Sage, Dameshood, Death's Piping, Enchanter's Plant, Fire Lily, Fivesleaf, Gnemnon, Jaivanti, Jugwort, Lavender Scented Thyme, Maragosa, Pale Skirret, Patchouli, Peppermint, Quamash, Royal Rosemary, Rubia, Schisandra, Sandalwood, Sky Gladalia, Sweet Groundmaple, Thunder Plant, Trilobe, Turtle's Shell, Wasabi, White Pepper Plant, Xanat
Class 8: Very Rare (approx 1/128 as common as Class 1s)
Allbright, Apothecary's Scythe, Asane, Azure Tristeria, Blueberry Tea Tree, Blood Balm, Chukkah, Cranesbill, Dewplant, Flaming Skirret, Ginger Tarragon, Heartsease, Jaiyanti, King's Coin, Lemon Basil, Moon Aloe, Naranga, Nubian Liquorice, Revivia, Shyamalata, Strychnos, Wild Garlic, Wood Sage
Class 9: Extremely Rare (approx 1/256 as common as Class 1s)
Bitter Florian, Blessed Mariae, Cassia, Cirallis, Golden Sun, Golden Sweetgrass, Ice Mint, Lemon Grass, Mandrake Root, Orris, Spinnea, Yellow Gentian
Class 10: Psychotically Rare (approx 1/512 as common as Class 1s)
Artemisia, Bleubillae, Butterfly Damia, Golden Gladalia, Golden Sellia, Lamae, Malice Weed, Scaley Hardwood, Vanilla Tea Tree, Verdant Two-Lobe
Class 11: Rarer Than You Can Probably Conceive (approx 1/1024 as common as Class 1s)
Blood Blossom, Blushing Blossom, Camelmint*, Creeping Black Nightshade*, Deadly Catsclaw*, Lilia, Ice Blossom, Sacred Palm
Class 12: Achievement Rare (approx 1/2048 as common as Class 1s)
Deadwood Tree, Golden Dubloon, Homesteader's Palm, Octec's Grace, Paradise Lily, Sickly Root