The Wiki for Tale 6 is in read-only mode and is available for archival and reference purposes only. Please visit the current Tale 11 Wiki in the meantime.
If you have any issues with this Wiki, please post in #wiki-editing on Discord or contact Brad in-game.
There are seven character attributes: Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Speed, Constitution, Focus, and Perception. Each attribute starts at zero.
Attributes may be increased temporarily by eating raw herbs from the ground, by eating grilled foods, by eating cooked food from a kitchen, drinking from an Aqueduct, or by catching a whiff of Incense.
- Grilled Foods give you small (+1 or +2) boost for 10 min. They cancel raw herb or cooked food effects. You grill food on a Firepit.
- Cooked food lasts for a variable length of time up to about 2 hours and can give a bonus up to about +25 (depending upon cooking skill and ingredients used). They cancel raw herb or grilled food effects.
- Raw Herbs eaten directly from the plant affect the same stats as the herbs can do when cooked, and last 3 minutes. They do not cancel grilled or cooked foods, but stack less than additively.
- Aqueducts increase a single stat by +3 for 24 hours, and stack with any other effects.
- Incense increases one stat and decreases another by up to +/- 7, and lasting up to about 2 hours (both depending upon quality of incense). They stack with all other effects.
- Stone phoenixes give a small bonus to a single stat that lasts 1 hour, if you polish their wings between 6am and 7am game time.
- Test of the Banquet gives a +7 bonus to all stats for its 21 participants, lasting 8 hours.
Permanent attribute increases are gained by progress in Tests in the Discipline of the Human Body.
- Permanent boost: You gain 1 STR for every 4 animals you add to your logbook for the Test of the Safari. Maximum permanent Strength is 7.
- Temporary boost: Eating Grilled Cucumbers gives a temporary boost +2
- Controls how much weight you may carry. If you have positive Strength, you can carry 500 * (1 + STR) weight. If you have negative or 0 Strength, you can carry 500 / (1 - STR) weight.
- Governs the timer used when separating Coconut Meat and Coconut Water in a kitchen.
- Strength score is added to the amount a Deep Well is wound from one pull.
- Strength score is added to the amount a Barrel Grinder is grinding from one pull.
- Controls timer for stirring cement in Clinker Vat along with Endurance.
- Permanent boost: You gain DEX for learning different moves for the Test of the Acrobat. Maximum permanent Dexterity is 7.
- Temporary boost: Eating Grilled Eggplant gives a temporary +2 boost
- Controls how much bulk you may carry. Formulas are the same as for Strength and Weight.
- Increases your off-road running speed by 3%(?) per Dexterity point (cap unknown). Bonus may dissipate when carrying too much bulk.
- Increases your chance of getting a Rabbit Pelt when slaughtering a rabbit.
- Permanent boost: Adding pearls to your necklace for the Test of the Oyster Catcher.
- Temporary boost: Eating Grilled Onions (increases endurance by +2) or a Grilled Fish (+1).
- Controls timers for flax processing
- Controls timer for digging (with a shovel at a hole)
- Controls timers for gathering dirt and limestone
- Controls timer for Deep Well mines (but Strength is more important)
- Controls timer for stirring cement in a Clinker Vat, along with Strength.
- Controls timer for grinding with a Barrel Grinder (but Strength is important)
- Permanent boost: You gain 1 SPD every time you're in the top 21 of the Test of the Singing Cicada, up to 8. Each increase beyond 8 requires being in the top 21 twice as often as the previous increase.
- Temporary boost: Eating Grilled Cabbage increases speed by +2 for a few minutes.
- Increases your on-road running speed. Tests seem to imply the increase is about 3% per point (Grilled Cabbage reduced a 22-second run to 21-second, and 3% would be in line with Dex.
- Increases the chance of catching fish, especially some types of rare fish.
- Increases the chance of not losing bees when harvesting from an apiary.
- Permanent boost: You gain 2 CON for the first stage of Test of the Darkest Night, then 1 CON for each of the third to seventh stages
- Temporary boost: Eating Grilled Watermelons gives +2 for a few minutes.
- Governs the timer used when making substances in a Chemistry Laboratory or Toxin Kitchen.
- Governs the timer used for Fumeology.
- Permanent boost: You gain FOC from success in the Test of the Ritual Tattoo.
- Temporary boost: Eating Grilled Garlic increases focus by +2 for 10 minutes.
- Governs the timer used when dowsing.
- Governs the timer used when carving.
- Governs the timer used when tapping pyramid blocks.
- Governs the timer used when inspecting installed blades in a Carpentry Shop.
- Helps removing pearls from your necklace (See Test of the Oyster Catcher).
- Permanent boost: You gain PER by enjoying many different masterpiece meals, wines, beers and smoked herbs.
- Temporary boost: Eating Grilled Carrots increases Perception by +2 for a few minutes.
- Used when Dowsing for metal veins (higher Perception allows detection of more metal types).
- Required for finding marble deposits - see Rocks of the Ages
- Random boost to harvesting wood from trees.
Various activities require a period of recovery before they can be performed again. For example, you must rest between uses of a loom. The length of time you must wait is controlled by a timer based on one of the seven statistics.
However, In T4 there was introduced an "overdraft" buffer that allows you to borrow limited amounts of action time.
Ordinarily, the buffer is empty. When you first perform an action that uses a stat, the buffer is filled with the cost of that action, and is sized to also give 38 unused seconds. You can continue to perform actions while the buffer has any unused time remaining in it. The buffer empties over time, at a rate determined by your stats.
When the buffer is completely full, the stat name goes bright red in your stats window. If you try to perform the action, you will get a popup telling you how long you will have to wait before you will be allowed to use it (based on your current stats).
The stat name changes to a darker red when the buffer once more has some credit in it, and you are able to perform that sort of action again. When the buffer has at least 18 seconds left, the stat name goes back to black. However, the buffer may take substantially longer to empty completely.
The recovery rate is (1 + stat/7) seconds of action buffer per second. So Endurance 7 recovers twice as fast as Endurance 0.
Table of timers
|Capturing a bullfrog (Safari)||Endurance||300s|
|Carving (barrel tap)||Focus||120s|
|Carving (crudely carved handle)||Focus||30s|
|Carving (large crude handle)||Focus||60s|
|Carving (rawhide strips)||Focus||20s|
|Carving (sharpened stick)||Focus||30s|
|Carving (wooden peg)||Focus||20s|
|Carving (wooden pestle)||Focus||10s|
|Collecting dirt (shovel)||Endurance||20s|
|Collecting limestone (Heavy Mallet & Lead Chisel)||Endurance||30s|
|Digging for stones (hole & shovel)||Endurance (+28 to solo with a 9k shovel, )||40s|
|Inspect a blade (Carpentry Shop)||Focus||120s|
|Raking flax for straw and tow||Endurance||30s|
|Raking flax for lint||Endurance||50s (male), 60s (female)|
|Search for falcon roosts (Safari)||Endurance||120s|
|Separating a coconut||Strength||6s|
|Smoking a Hookah Pipe||Constitution||45s|
|Stirring cement||Strength & Endurance (+21 on both to solo)||45s|
|Weaving, female avatar||Endurance||60s|
|Weaving, male avatar||Endurance||80s|
|Winding barrel grinder||Endurance (+36 to solo)||120s|
|Winding deep well||Endurance||180s|
Timers that still need to be measured: tapping bore rods (lead hammer) and other pyramid block operations
Changes in time for modified stats
Some activities have their own timers, which are not tied into the stat timers:
- Lessons for teaching a University learned skill to another player - 5 minutes (Number of lessons/skill varies by skill and mentor-leadership mods)
- Attempting to repair a building with the Structure Repair skill - 60 secs if you fail
- Upgrading a guild hall with camp decoration - 1 week (unconfirmed)